In Memory of Grandma

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow


As a kid, Grandma was just Grandma. I knew grandma loved playing scrabble, doing puzzles, and loved us, but since we didn't live close to Grandma, I never really had a chance to get to know her much more than this, though I did hear stories about her life from my dad.  At some point in my adult life, it became a dream to come live closer to Grandma for awhile and this past year, I've had the chance to do that. This past year gave me many precious moments with Grandma.  From talking with her and hearing her stories to taking walks together, swinging on the swing, singing hymns, reading to her, watching Billy Graham on TBN together and looking at pictures. 

Grandma was so proud of all the photobooks, calendars, pictures and other special gifts she had received from loved ones over the years. She'd show me them on many occasions.  I loved seeing her face light up as she showed me these special gifts. I didn't mind that I had seen them before. 

 I already admired Grandma, but this year gave me a closer glimpse of who she was.  I have been so humbled and challenged in my own journey by the example she provided. This year, I've seen up close Grandma's humility, devotion to God, love for others and her joy.  The way she lived softened my heart and taught me on many occasions. 

On one of these occasions, Near Grandma's 99th birthday, I went in to say goodbye before heading home. Grandma gave me a warm hug and kiss and then said to me, "I don't know if I should tell you this, but I was feeling very homesick today. I prayed and told the Lord how much I wanted to go home, but He told me it wasn't time yet." She told me she felt disappointed, but that she wanted to say yes to God. She said to me, "I don't know how I can continue to serve the Lord, but please pray for me, that I will have the strength to keep saying 'Yes, Lord, not my will but yours be done'." My heart was so humbled and I felt that same prayer spring up in my own heart. Oh Lord, help ME, keep saying yes to you too!

On another occasion, after a painful few weeks in my life, I went in to say a quick hello to Grandma before making the drive back home. She was too weak that day to really talk much, so all I was hoping for was a quick hug, and another chance to tell her how much I loved her.  When I went in by her, she gave me a really warm hug (like she often did) and looked at me and said "The Lord loves you so much. I wish I could give you what you need, but the Lord knows what you need, and HE will take care of you." She repeated these words over and over.  She didn't know how difficult my last few weeks had been, but her words were so timely and were just the words I needed to hear in that moment. 

While this year, Grandma taught me through her humility and devotion to God. She also brought me joy and laughter. In this past year, I was often surprised by Grandma's great sense of humor.

One day when my dad and I were visiting her, Grandma excused herself for a minute to go back to her room. When she returned (more than a minute later), she sat down and said to us "If a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day, how long is a minute?"  My dad and I began to calculate an answer, but before we had gotten very far, Grandma corrected us . "It's as long as it takes" she said.  We had a really great laugh. 

A few days before her 99th birthday, she came out to the living room. she had been listening to Billy Graham that night, and told us how he had said "I'm talking to all you young people out there, and by young, I mean anyone under 99 years old." She said, well I guess I'm not old quite yet!

Last week, as Grandma was making her way ever closer to heaven, I was so glad to see her again. She held my hands and told me again, "Jesus loves you, so much".  Though I've known this truth for a long time, it never gets old to hear it. 

Each time I said goodbye, I'd never know if that might be the last time, but, as Grandma reminded me often, "The Lord knew all about it".  The words "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus" comes to mind as I am writing this, and as I think back on Grandma's life, I see the testimony of that truth.  Grandma was a perseverer. An overcomer. A beautiful example of godliness and a life of communion with God.



I love Grandma. She was an incredible woman for so many reasons, but the life she lived and the Love of God that she taught has left us all with the greatest inheritance of all.  She fought the good fight, she finished the race. She kept the faith.  I only pray that I run as well as she did.

Comments

Popular Posts