Slipping Away.

I don't have the best memory in the world, but that Christmas is as clear today as it was 17 years ago (well...in some ways:).

I was seven years old, and like most years, we had traveled to Arkansas to see my dad's side of the family. I've always loved seeing my relatives and getting away from the city! That year, their dog had just had puppies. They were so cute. A handful of furballs cuddling up to their mother. When you held them, they all fit into the palm of your hand. They were SOO small and SOO cute. My Aunt and Uncle were more than willing to give one of them to use, and so we begged my parents to let us have one. Dad said no.

Although we tried to convince him otherwise, we couldn't persuade him. I'm sure I did my pouting act, but even that did nothing. My sisters and I were very disappointed.

Later that week when we were opening presents, one of the presents moved. Inside was a little puppy. I'm not sure how it happened. I don't know who convinced my dad to change his mind... but none of that mattered. We had our dog.

I can almost see us now. Rachel, Joanna, Mom, Dad and I sitting in a circle with the puppy in the middle trying to decide what to name her as she wandered between us. Options were thrown out, and eventually we decided on Lolly Pop. Even though we all call her Lolly.

Almost exactly 17 years since our dear puppy came into our life. What a great dog she's been too! Now, I'm not sure I will get to see her again. She has been sick for quite some time and we have all been expecting her death. I just saw her at thanksgiving. She was so frail and hardly eating.

Its interesting how we can become so attached to animals. She may not be able to talk, but she has always been a good dog. Constant. Faithful. She has been a part of my family for almost as long as I can remember, and I confess that it hurts to think of her leaving us now.

I wish she could make it till Christmas, so we can all be together one last time. But alas, she is slipping away and may be gone before tomorrow.

Last Christmas...

Ps. My Mom just called... She's gone.

Comments

  1. Can you send me this picture. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. That made me cry... :(

    Love ya--My parents have a new puppy--Dude!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Let me know how I can pray for you or leave comments about my posts! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Popular Posts