Spicy Red Pepper Tomato Soup-Gluten & Dairy Free


If you know me very well, you know that I LOVE soup... My love for soup started back when I worked at a bakery that served 7-9 different soups a day... with over 20 varieties... From Beef Barley to Pasta Fagioli to Baked Potato to Broccoli Cheddar to Onion to Minestrone to... The list could go on and on... It was at that time that I discovered soup is GOOD!

Over the past year, my housemate, Dani, and I have experimented with different soups, specifically Gluten Free/Dairy Free Soups (for Dani's good health).  We have come up with some delicious soups, and today, after making our latest, we decided we should start keeping track of these soups.

This soup was inspired by some tomatoes on our counter... I didn't measure my ingredients, because we didn't think of writing it down until AFTER we ate it... but here is my best guess at what I did... I imagine this is a good enough guide to get a pretty similar replica of what we made.  It doesn't have a super tomato-y flavor too it, so if you are going for that, you'll want to add more tomatoes.  And for the spices, I'm not sure all of these would be necessary to get the similar taste, but I'm just telling you what I put in ours... and it tasted good! (Especially when pared with a grilled cheese sandwich made with pesto cheese...) Mmmmm... With that said, here is the recipe (full of old fashioned measurements. ie. Estimates)!

Spicy Red Pepper Tomato Soup
(Measurements not exact - Just use as model and add to taste)

7 medium sized tomatoes - chopped (we kept the skins on and it was fine)
1 Large red Pepper
2 small red onions
2/3 cup carrots
4 large garlic cloves
1.5 cups Almond milk
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 chopped potato (Helps with consistency)
1 Tbsp Gluten Free Flour

Spices
1-2 tsps of salt... add to taste
1 dash of Basil
1 dash oregano
1 dash paprika
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 dash chili powder
1 small dash red pepper flakes
2 dashes of thyme
1 tsp Hot sauce
2 dashes La Chikky Vegetable seasoning

Boil ingredients until soft, then use immersion blender to puree together.  Let it cook on Low-Medium heat for all the flavors to mix together.  We let ours cook for about 30 minutes; however, I'm sure the flavor would only get better if cooked on a lower heat over a longer period of time.

 There you have it! Our first written down recipe!!

Here is a picture of our soup remains...

Comments

Popular Posts