Reflections on the way to Hawai

Sometimes adventure finds you in unexpected twists and turns of life. Sadly, so many times we (I) are unable to enjoy it because we get so caught up in the frustration of the unexpected.

This past year has held many unexpected twists and turns for me, but especially the past 3 months.

From having to pay at the closing of my house instead of getting the $4,000 I had expected to the 4 hour delay of my flight to Maui....which really was just a brief connection to Kona. I missed my connection to Kona and now may have to fly through yet another connection in Honolulu OR have to stay the night in Maui...

Frustrating things certainly, but maybe a paid for night in Maui wouldnt be so bad... I mean, a hotel to myself.... no expense to me?  Maybe that might be nice right before I start this stint of almost college like life back in a dorm room with 5 other ladies ??

And as I reflect I think, perhaps there is an adventure to be found even in the unexpected financial turns of our lives? I mean, doesn't this force me to trust n the Lord more? ANd isn't THAT an adventure???

For those who are ready and willing to take it as such, Trusting the LORD is the GREATEST adventure of all!  Trusting the Lord is more Thrilling than jumping out of a plane, flying through the sky and being caught with a parachute... It is more invigorating than a morning hike...

I still have some learning and brain retraining to do, but I think the best way to respond to the unexpected is with a resounding YES! 

YES, so, I had a $6,000 swing in what I thought my bank account would be and what it actually was.  I couldn't control it! YES, what a wonderful opportunity to see My Lord SHINE in my life and provide for me like he always does! I can't WAIT to see how he does it!!!

YES, so, I'm starving. Tired. and late for arrival... I couldn't control it! YES! I'll get to visit more Islands, or get to stay the night in Maui or something! I can't wait to see which turn this still unraveling story takes! (PS... They ended up creating another flight and though late, I did make it to Kona that night...)

Ok, you're right... I'm being optimistic...And optimism can sometimes be hard to maintain in the moment... IT's hard to maintain when the financial hit begins to seem real and you are still waiting for God's provision... It's hard to maintain when it goes from starving to "No REALLY. IM STARVING!!! TIRED!!!!! GET ME SOME FOOD NOW!!!!"...

But I have to answer something for myself... In those moments of frustration, did my frustration change anything?? And even in those rare cases where maybe it did.... Is allowing that frustration to control me worth it???

I mean, I've been nearly falling apart in this life that I have stepped into... Giving up control has been one of the hardest things Ive ever done and  in reality, Ive learned that there is one kind of control that I don't have to give up. Ever. And that is SELF CONTROL.

So really, its not worth giving up self control and instead letting frustration control me. NOT WORTH IT.  It doesn't accomplish anything. It only hurts me and those around me.

So when unexpected twists and turns occur in my life, I want to not only talk optimistically, but I want to retrain myself to truly BE optimistic. I want to give up all other control but keep self control.

Comments

Popular Posts