The Never Ending Birthday in Israel

It started out a regular day in April. We were on our way to pick up some Russian Bibles and then headed to Nazareth village when Rachel started feeling a bit hot and sick in the back of the bus.  Looking around, I noticed a window with a latch near Hee, so I asked her to open the window. 

As she opened the window, she offered me her seat. I tried explaining that it wasn't I who needed it but Rachel; however she didn't understand me and told me to come take her seat.  I tried again explaining it but by then Bruce jumped on the opportunity to offer me his seat also, then Brian and perhaps others.

All of a sudden, I was flooded with people saying my name, when suddenly Jan piped up something about it being my birthday, and before you know it everyone was singing to me Happy birthday and We Love you with the Love of the Lord. The birthday wishes and unmerited attention seemed to last all day. It was awkward yet.... I had never before been the center of unsolicited attention and in some ways it touched my heart and made it smile. Besides, it actually was quite funny, despite the strangeness of it.

I thought at the end of that day it would be over, but in the next two weeks I heard happy birthday countless times.  I tried to divert it to someone else, but was never successful. 

Next thing you know, I'm getting silly little gifts. A falafel. An apple..... And they even turned our tour day's itinerary into a birthday card for me.  I had children at the ministry we were with asking me if it was my birthday. I had random other people wishing me happy birthday when they caught wind of it and didn't realize it was a joke. I was sung to in a restaurant. Twice. I was sung to at breakfast. I was sung to at random times throughout the day. 

Each time, I was surprised by this thing I surely thought would pass, but once again I'd find myself the center of attention.  

Today we are flying to India. I was coming back from the bathroom when I noticed Rachel up to something and the smirk on Bruce's face said it all. I knew it was coming.

Just as I suspected, a few minutes later the stewardess came back to my seat with a little business class case as a gift and a bottle of champagne.  She said, "I heard it was your birthday."   I couldn't help but laughing.... 

The thing is, it makes no sense why I would receive so much attention.  I did nothing to solicit it, but somehow, as silly as it is, it has been beyond funny and actually has touched into one of those deep places of my heart... That deep place that felt overlooked, forgotten, hidden and unseen.

God keeps speaking to me about this.  A few months ago while we were still in Kona, TJ gave me a word he felt was for me. He had a picture of kids at a playground and first he saw a table and there weren't enough seats for me, but then, he saw another table, and he felt God was saying there is always a seat for me at the table. 

Then in Israel, when we broke up into teams and prayed together, Jan gave me the word that I am never hidden from God and that His eyes are on me. That I am never lost in the crowd or just in the background to Him.

So He has been trying to teach me this, and then I become the never ending birthday girl.  God works in mysterious ways, and in this case, ways that make you laugh a lot.... :)

 

Comments

Popular Posts