What do you think? -A discussion about Opinions.

I picked up a copy of a Christian magazine this morning and found my heart grieved. We live in a culture that is full of opinions, from varying sides, and naturally, this invokes a lot of discussion, much of it heated and intense.  Whether with friends, on social media, or in public meetings, we are easily drawn into discussing the issues of today and letting the world know what we think.  This magazine was doing the same, addressing many hot topics of today from vaccinations to gender/marriage to racism even to "Is saying the Islamic creed REALLY denying Christ?" for the Christians whose lives are at risk in other countries.

Our culture has taught us, our opinions matter. Our voices matter.  (On a side note, in many cultures, this isn't their reality at all.)  I don't intend to disagree with that belief system, because I, like most in our culture, DO believe that our opinions and voices matter.  There is just one problem with this belief system that is grieving my heart this morning.

Are we more prepared and quick to give our opinions than we are to show the heart of God in a culture that is turning away from Him?  At the end of the day, it isn't what we think that matters if in the process of fighting for our "side" we lose track of the most important aspects of our faith! To LOVE GOD with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength, and LOVE our neighbors as ourselves. 

I'm not at all suggesting we don't stand up for what we believe is right, but I am afraid that perhaps we are neglecting the discussion about our response. What kind of response does God want us to have in a world that is changing? 

Within the body of Christ, we have brothers and sisters in the Lord turning against each other over disagreements about opinions.  We have quarreling, arguing, bitterness, unforgiveness and more.  Oh how this grieves my heart, and I am even more grieved for the times I have been guilty of this.  As Christians, is it really our opinions that matter more than anything??  What price are we willing to pay?

Again, I am not trying to promote passivity, or not standing for beliefs, I am simply trying to refocus.  I think there are MANY issues that we will never have clear cut, 100% agreement on. Within the church, and outside of the church.  Unfortunately, these issues not only divide us from each other, but in the end, all this quarreling and division also separates us from the things that REALLY matter.

Our attention gets so fixed on the hot issues of today, and even the fear that these issues induce in us, that we lose track of the heart of God and forget to listen to God through that sweet personal connection to Him through his Holy Spirit.  Ultimately it isn't about what I think at all, it is about God, his great love, and the fact that he wants relationship with us. HE does the transformational work in us.  When I come to HIM, he brings me, my opinions, my thoughts, into alignment with Him and the truth.  I don't have to try to force others to come to my line of thinking, but rather, when we fix our eyes on Jesus, He brings the unity that we cannot create on our own or with our own rationalization. 

I was grieved today not because this magazine stated opinions, but because I am seeing that opinions have become the focus, instead of response.  I am reminded today that so often this is how we approach scripture as well, instead of reading it and asking ourselves, how do we live this out/how do we respond to this, we evaluate what we think it means or what we think about it. We are such an intellectual society that on occasion, there is a disconnect between our minds and our lives... So today I am asking myself, how do I respond, Lord, in the way you would have me? How do I live out all you teach me in your word?

Lord, teach us how to respond to a changing world in a way that glorifies you. Teach us how to stand up for what is right in a way that lifts your name. Teach us how to let go of the things we do not understand and the things that are dividing your church. Teach us Lord to fix our eyes on you and to trust in YOU in everything and acknowledge you in everything! Lord, begin with me. Change me. Help me to reflect you and to love others, even those who don't agree with me. Teach me, Lord. I release my own thoughts and opinions to you Lord.  Fill my heart with your thoughts and help me to have ears tuned to your voice. It is YOUR voice and thoughts that matter and are more precious than anything to me. Amen...

Comments

Popular Posts