Through Many Tribulations We Must Enter the Kingdom of God

Acts 14:21-22 - “When they had preached the gospel to that city and had made many disciples, they returned to Lystra, and to Iconium and to Antioch, strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God”…

As I read this passage this morning, I was struck by these words “through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God”…. Oooh. That is not what we like to hear….  Sometimes tribulations come in the form of outside forces, some small, some large...  We know that still today many Christians all around the world face many ‘outer’ tribulations as their lives are threatened, and more… But for many of us, our tribulations also occur within ourselves as we must die to ourselves DAILY.  Die to our old ways.  It is not easy to put other people’s needs before my own. It is not easy to be patient sometimes.  It isn’t easy to overlook offenses. It isn’t easy to forgive those who hurt us.  It is not easy to …fill in the blank. The reality is, some of our greatest tribulations and trials come from the battles within our own souls. Often the ''outer'' tribulations are magnified because of the battles that wage within us.

As Paul said in Romans 7:18- “For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. “  There is a war waging within us, but praise God, “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart….”  and “Let us then with confidence, draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need”.  (Heb. 4:12,16)  Praise God that, “God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it”… He gives us the grace we need to overcome the enemy.

So as I think about the tribulations that I must go through to enter the kingdom of God, I have a fresh perspective on the things I go through daily.  Suddenly, the annoyances and tribulations that present themselves to me are something to be tackled with joy as I press on towards the goal of the upward call of Jesus Christ.  The hope of the Kingdom of God. The Promise of Peace, Joy, and ABUNDANT Life.... True Freedom.

Lord, help me. Thank you for your word in Hebrews 4:16 that I can draw near to the throne of grace with confidence, knowing that you will give mercy and provide me the grace I need to help in time of need... Lord, here I am in my weakness. Thank you for your strength that helps me overcome the tribulations I face, so that I may experience and enter the Kingdom of God.


Comments

Popular Posts