Life in Mozambique

During my first couple weeks, I experienced many facets of the ministry here, such as street ministry, hospital visits, ministry at the "Bocaria" (a massive pile, or MOUNTAIN, of trash, where some people live and search for things they might use), visited the widows house, worshiped Jesus with special needs children (I love them!), got tackled in the sand by preschoolers, and more.  But most importantly, during those first couple weeks, I had precious time to sit in the presence of God and hear from him. 

After my first couple weeks were over, I got into a routine. Helping in the finance office in the mornings, hanging out with precious girls in the afternoons doing activities and shower time, visiting the hospital, helping the clinic, and other things as they come upMaputo is covered with sand, so walking is a workout!   I try eating lunch with the kids most days, which ranges from beans and rice, to a traditional mozambique maize meal and some green creamy topping that I can't define... :)    I've also been privileged to sit under the discipleship of a lovely lady here!

When we have church service, which is every Thursday and Sunday, I get to experience the energy and excitement of Mozambiquan worship! The children and adults alike worship the Lord with dancing! One Thursday night, when the power went out, and thus the music, the children danced to the beat of the drums.  It was a lot of fun!

My Portuguese is slowly coming together! Thanks to Spanish for making the road there a bit easier!   I Love the kids, their energy, their smiles.... :)  I don't love the heat!  It is HOT here in Mozambique, and only  getting hotter. While Minnesota will be entering freezing temperatures soon, I will be sweating pounds off here in Africa. :) 

As I've been here at the Center, I've learned more about the children. Some are orphaned and truly have nobody, but many of the children are here for other reasons, such as unsafe environments at home, health reasons (too sick for their families to help), or whatever other situation may come up.   It's amazing how well a center with almost 300 children can run!!   

When I first visited one of the youngest dorms, with the kids ranging from 2-4, my heart melted for one particular little boy who serenaded me with his pretend guitar and singing. While the other kids tackled me, he was content to just hang out and sing.  He won me over :). Now, every time I see him, we exchange smiles and I feel a bond him.  I admit, I had the thought, if I could take that boy home with me, I would... :)

Well that's it for this update... More to come I'm sure!

Comments

  1. Love your tender heart for the children! You are truly a blessing to them. May God continue to bless your journey and draw you even more intimate to Him.

    Shalom!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good the news about your time there. May the Lord bring you lots of love and pleasure all the time and that you feel less the heat.
    Muito amor daqui do Brasil para você. I hooe you understand...
    Nely

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Let me know how I can pray for you or leave comments about my posts! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Popular Posts