What LIFE is NOT made of

I read an article from relevant magazine the other day about why we need Africa more than Africa need's us.  Amongst it's reasons, it talked about simplicity and stated:
"When you come from a culture of abundance, it’s hard to imagine anyone being OK living a simpler kind of life........When you witness people living with less stuff and more joy, it does something to you. You will start finding greater pleasure with seemingly less....."  
(Check out the full article here) 
While I was in India I was struck with the same thing. It is so instinctive for us to want to help improve their quality of life, but the reality is, that's NOT what they need.  Both in Africa and in India, and I imagine many of the poorest places on earth, you find people who have JOY, LOVE, PEACE.  And in the RICHEST homes in the world, I am confident you will witness that the abundance of possessions did not provide those very things!

As I was reading this morning in Luke, I was hit with this reminder in Luke 12:
"15. Take care and be on guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions......23. For Life is more than food, and the body more than clothing....31. Instead, seek his kingdom...." 
This past year, I have gotten rid of a LOT of things, but still, compared to so many people, I have a lot!  As I got rid of more and more things, I felt SO FREE!  I was more free to go wherever God led, yes, but more than that... I felt more free from STUFF, and the need for STUFF.   The truth is, I never considered myself materialistic, or thought I had THAT much, but as I got rid of stuff, I realized, I had always had far more than I needed, and in may ways, it was a distraction in my life.

It is SO freeing to be content with little, but before I went on a "stuff strike", God spoke to my heart that having STUFF in itself is NOT the problem!

You may have to answer the question for yourself, but I know for me, I felt in bondage to my stuff.
1. It was a BONDAGE that kept me stuck.   It costs a lot to move it. It costs a lot to store it. It costs to buy it. You need a job and income to keep it.....etc 
2. It represented BONDAGE to societal pressures. I want to be in style. I can't wear the same outfit twice in one week. I want my house to be attractive for visitors.....
3. It was a BONDAGE to my time.  Having lots of stuff takes a lot of time. I need to clean it, organize it, purchase or store it. I have SO many choices of what to wear in the morning, and I can't decide...
4. It was a BONDAGE to my heartIt's easy to get attached... There are so many memories tied to it... Or, I may need this again someday! 
What God began to speak to me, was that HAVING stuff wasn't in itself the problem, but HE wants us free, and if we feel bound to our stuff, in ANY way, we may need to evaluate WHY?  I had to realize that my LIFE was not made up of STUFF.  Sure, things can hold many memories, but at the end of the day, will I be OKAY if I didn't have it or does my stuff define me? The reality is, that WITH or WITHOUT stuff.......
 1. I AM Free to go wherever God leads me, no MATTER how much stuff I have. I can get rid of it. I can donate it, or I can store it. No problem. I AM FREE.
 2. I AM Free from societal pressures.  It's ok to wear the same outfit twice in one week! My house doesn't need tons of decor.  God doesn't look out the outward appearances, but looks at my heart! 
3. My TIME is focused on the the things that really matter!  Making time for the Lord, and other people are a priority in my life. Being a person of Godly character is where I want to invest my time.
4. I can Let Go. I may keep something forever, but if I have to let it go, I can. If I see someone who needs it more than I do, I can give it. I am not TIED to my stuff.  I am able to release it. 
Sometimes, I don't feel that freedom indicated above, but I know I AM free... Now, I think I may have taken a bit of a rabit trail, but here's the summary....

TRUE LIFE, abundant life, is not made of stuff!  
It isn't found in what we own. 

So then, WHAT IS LIFE made of? 
What do you think? Leave comments below!

Comments

Popular Posts