God is Greater

Have you ever heard the song No Longer Slaves by Jonathan David Helser? In the chorus, it says, "I'm no longer a slave to fear. I am a child of God". As I listened to this song last night, these simple words began to hit me, and God began to convict my heart and give me revelation.

I've been reading a lot about Israel lately. Most of us know their story. God, through many incredible signs and wonders, delivered Israel out of a place of bondage (Egypt). They experienced the IMPOSSIBLE through God. Yet, when they came to the promised land and heard about the giants in the land, they suddenly forgot not only who THEY were - CHOSEN people of God - but who GOD was.

Instead of walking into their promise full of faith in their God of the IMPOSSIBLE, fear caused them to cry out "Oh that we had died in the wilderness! Why is the Lord bringing us into this land to fall by the sword?" (Num.14:2-3).  In fact, they even wished they could go back to Egypt. Back to their bondage.

What giants or obstacles are you facing? Do these obstacles and impossible things in your way cause you to want to give up? Which is greater? Your fear or the God you serve? How often do we forget the greatness of God? Instead of walking by faith, we walk by fear!

While Israel was crying out in disbelief, Caleb said in Numbers 13:30, "Let us go up and occupy it, for we are well able to overcome it." and again in 14:8 he says, "If the Lord delights in us, he will bring us into this land and give it to us."

When obstacles, "giants", and the impossible come into our path, we have a choice.

We can choose to be like Israel, ruled by fear, and abandon the promise God has given to us; or we can choose to be like Joshua and Caleb and declare, "We are well able to overcome it! 'If God is FOR us, then WHO can be against us?' (Rom 8:31), for 'ALL things are possible with God' (Mt 19:26) and 'I can do all things THROUGH CHRIST who strengthens me' (Phil 4:13)."

Dear friends, "In Christ Jesus, you are all children of God through faith" (Gal. 3:26). "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." (1 Jn 4:7).

If you have forgotten the greatness of God and fear has become bigger in your life, then I want to challenge you today, just as I am challenged. 
Dig into God's word and remind yourself of the incredible Greatness of God. Remind yourself who God is. When we have a right perspective of God, we will have no problem saying to the giants in our path, "MOVE", and they WILL move. If only we have a little faith (Mt 17:20).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all have moments where we need to be reminded of who God is.  In my own moment of weakness and disbelief, I wrote the song, Help me Remember, to remind myself of all God had done in my life! He was faithful to the Israelites all throughout history, and he remains faithful even to this day, to each one of us.

Comments

Popular Posts