There's a Story There

I'm not sure when it started. Perhaps it was the day in 2015 when I went out to minister to those on the streets and it occurred to me that the person in front of me had something to teach me too.  All I know is that over the past three years a lot has changed in my heart and in the way I see others. Today I have the strong conviction in me that everyone has a story, and if you'll take the time to listen, you might find that even you have something to learn.

Growing up, I always wanted to share the Lord with people... or at least, I knew that I should. But I never knew how to do it. I always felt so uneasy. But when I started learning to value the people in front of me and started taking the time to listen to them... Well, everything changed.

I have found that there is ALWAYS a story, and in listening, I find myself learning.  First of all, I learn compassion. It is so easy to make assumptions about people. To judge the homeless, our neighbors, the angry person at the store... but behind what we see on the surface, there is a story, and in the story, you'll find out that the person in front of you has faced difficulties, has longed for love, experienced loss, has celebrated and mourned and so much more. Each person's story is unique, and God loves THEM uniquely.

Another important thing I learn in listening is that the person in front of me is not just a "soul that needs to get saved". The more I listen, not only to the person in front of me, but also to the Holy Spirit, I learn how incredibly deep the Father's love is.  He doesn't just want to get them "saved", but He wants to SAVE them. He wants more than a prayer. He wants relationship. He wants to love them, heal them, and redeem them!


Comments

Popular Posts