John G. Lake Reflection


John G. Lake is full of truths that have hit me between the eyes, gone straight to my heart and left me praying that my life would also be marked by the power of the Holy Spirit.  I HAVE long hungered for what John G. Lake describes, yet it always felt like an impossibility.  While my church growing up DID teach healing, it did not model it. The “radical” life like Jesus seemed impossible, but God has been showing me it IS a possibility. This book really grounded that in me on a deeper level. Understanding from scripture that sickness and disease is NOT God’s will is a vital turning point for me.

Lake emphasizes the reality of divine healing, God’s will in the matter, and the power that is available to us today! The testimonies of his ministry shouted to my spirit – BELIEVE! Lake answered many of the questions that I’ve struggled with in regards to healing. He confronted false beliefs we’ve been taught, addressed our identity as TRUE sons and daughters, and emphasized the importance of being surrendered and given over to the Lord completely. He challenges the reader to grow past infancy, abandon selfish motivations, and surrender to God fully. Lake didn’t settle for healing of the body any more than another might for the forgiveness of sins. He addresses God’s will for us to be WHOLE – body, soul and spirit.

“For as He is, so are we in this world”….
As I meditate on this verse, I begin to have a deeper revelation and understanding of what our lives as believers should look like. It’s frustrating to feel the responsibility of something without having the authority to carry it out.  I am now seeing more clearly that Jesus did not call without equipping and am gaining a deeper understanding of what he has truly given through the Holy Spirit. As an analytical thinker myself, Lake’s very scientific and logical explanations were very powerful for me and allowed the truth to get past my mental roadblocks and deepen my faith.

I have often thought of the scripture in 2 Timothy 3:5 about having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power.  As I read this book, and as I write these words, I am challenged.  I have lived my life with integrity, sought truth, and by any standards, am called a good person. But I am not content with stopping there. In my heart I have wondered at how far was I really willing to go in surrender and in my pursuit of the Lord? Would I lay down the opinions of man to chase after the uncompromised truth and power of God?  Would I abandon distractions, persevere through the waiting seasons to find the more of God that I long for?

Lake was bold and unwavering in his teachings. He was unafraid to confront false beliefs from both inside and outside of Christianity.  He wasn’t intimidated by demonic powers, but like Elijah, took every opportunity to allow God to shine and reveal HIS power is greater. I felt he was saying over and over again – WAKE UP! HERE IS YOUR DESTINY! THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS AT HAND! GOD IS REAL! HE’S ALIVE! HE MOVES TODAY!!

God has been stirring in my heart to tarry awhile… To wait on him. As I read this book, I saw my own infancy in areas of my life. Areas that I have not pushed past the discomfort. On p.351, Lake says “Do not be satisfied with sins forgiven. Press on, press in. Let God have you and fill you, until consciously he dwells, lives, abides in every cell of your blood, of your bone and your brain, until your soul, indwelt by Him, thinks His thoughts, speaks His word, until your spirit assimilates God, and God’s Spirit assimilates you, until your humanity and His divinity are merged into His eternal Deity. Thus BODY, SOUL, and SPIRIT are God’s forever…”  That is my prayer. I’m not satisfied with sins forgiven. I am hungry to have more of the Lord! For every part of me to be IN Him and for HIM to be in every part of me.

I am not content with an empty and powerless religion. I am not willing to stay in infancy or play it safe any longer. There will likely be painful moments of surrender, but I am far more afraid of not grabbing ahold of my Savior and living in all He’s called me to.

I am determined this year to surround myself with those that are going to challenge me, those committed to waiting on the Lord, willing to step out in obedience in boldness, are after full surrender and walking in the power of the Holy Spirit. I also am convicted in my own heart, to hold myself accountable to being one of those people, choosing the secret place with the Lord over distraction. Someone who turns away from the lies religion has fed me and grabs ahold of the full POWER of scripture-As HE is!

Meditating on these truths is a necessity. Standing in a place of thankfulness for all GOD has done and made available to us, worshiping Him, and Keeping HIM in clear view. These are all practical ways that I hope to begin to live as the transformed, new creation that I am in Him!  

Comments

Popular Posts